Tuesday, December 30, 2008

In a funk.

Days like today really bother me. I am in a funk. That was my father-in-law's term for feeling down.

The reason these kinds of days bother me is that I have no particular reason to be in a funk today. It is true that a few things bugged me last night and this morning, but to waste an entire day in a funk is a real bummer.

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling so fine and happy. It was a great feeling day. No particular reason for it. I just felt good all day.

Not today. I didn't sleep well and I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It is hard to move when I am this way.

I come from a long line of people who spent a lot of time in funks. I suppose I should be happy that my funks don't last that long. On the roller coaster of life my dips are frequent but short. Rarely do they go on and on. It is really a bummer when they last longer than a day.

The problem with my funks is that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel while I am in one. I only see doom and gloom.

Judy has talked me through many, many a funk. I try to remember the things she has told me before and at least now I realize I won't be in this funk forever. That is a vast improvement over my previous funks.

I wish these funks weren't so paralyzing. I start feeling worse and worse....just because I am feeling in a funk. I start imagining that NO ONE ELSE does this. Then I remembered Anaise's blogs. Sometimes she is in a funk (usually with a dang good reason) and she and the girls will have a movie day. You know what? Just remembering her blogs made me start to perk up and feel better! Even though I have no good reason to be in a funk, I feel a little better now. Thanks for being open!

4 comments:

Anaise said...

Oh, Mary! I so understand! I understand completely! It IS hard to find any light when you are lost in those "funk"-y feelings. I don't know the key to overcoming them--it seems like it is something different each time for me, but you are NOT alone! I sincerely hope you wake up feeling happy and perky today!

Kat said...

Mary I love you! I get in funks sometimes too. You're great, and I'm so glad we're friends! I'm looking forward to next semester teaming with you! Love ya!!

Mary Bonham said...

Thanks, guys! I do feel SO much better today!

Judy Francisco said...

Wish I could relate. I NEVER get in funks... ;)