Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Hair

Well, I am going for it! I have NEVER had a good perm in my life and I am going to try again. Yep! Today I am getting a "natural-looking, loose perm." They say they will use large rods. I am tired of flat headed hair (Utah dryness.)

I remember the first time I got a perm as an adult. I told the stylist, "I don't want to look like old women over 70 with the bubble head. I just want some body and loose curls." Another patron, over 70, was getting her hair permed. When they removed the rollers, her hair was in the bubble head style. Then they removed my curlers. I looked EXACTLY like the other woman. I wanted to die! I went to the mall and anyone over 70 looked like me! I cried for 6 months.

The next perm I got was when I went to get my hair trimmed. I had long, quite pretty, hair that I had to blow dry everyday to have it lie right. It looked really, really good. The same stylist said to me, "I can give you a straight perm. You won't have to blow dry your hair everyday." Yippee! I was so excited. OK! Well, when they took the straightener out of my hair, my hair bounced up into its normal curly self. I stared at the mirror. I asked, "What is this?" "Well," the stylist announced, "you do have to blow it dry straight." Huh? So, I blew my hair dry and it frizzed out like a long-haired bubble head. The perm not only DIDN'T work, it also destroyed my hair. I had to chop it all off and then had a short style again. I haven't been able to have a long hair style again.

So, last night, when I announced I was getting a perm today, Kelli said, "You haven't learned your lesson yet?" and Bob said, "Well, I am sure it will make for a good story."

Either I will have a cute style or I will cry for 6 months and have a good story to tell. (In person these stories are much more lively.)

At least I am using a different stylist.

4 comments:

Anaise said...

Oooooooohhh! Good luck! I hope you come out feeling like a million bucks! My fingers are crossed for you. :)

dianna andersen said...

You are beautiful no matter what!!!! you always have been. even when your hair was like a 70 year old. (man that was BAD, but you where beautiful!) love you

Judy Francisco said...

I laughed out loud 2 times--that's a lot for me in one short story! Wow, 6 months is a long time to cry... Gentle reminder of what constitutes insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but always expecting a different result... Yeah. I agree with Bob, and I can't WAIT to hear the story...

Kat said...

The hair looks great! Honestly, I wouldn't like, and I think it looks fabulous on you. Just the right amount of bounce and wave. Today was fun, thanks!